The Valley Life Sciences Building (VLSB) was 1 of 4 building projects (Life Sciences Building, Life Sciences Addition, Koshland Hall, North West Animal Facility) undertaken to revitalize the biological sciences on the UC Berkeley Campus. The VLSB was the most ambitious. It was constructed in 1930—considered to be state-of-the-art—and was completely gutted and reconstructed on the interior.
Building Manager: Igor Kligman
Contact for general building maintenance and repairs, phone orders, keys, key card, bike cage access, asset management, grounds, core equipment/environmental rooms, custodial, pest control, moves, asset disposal, security, lab startup/close out, and minor/major renovations.
BDS Health and Safety Officer – Facilities Director: Derek Apodaca
Contact for general health and safety issues, training/access forms, inspections, permits, reporting, emergency response, CPR/AED, lab startup/close out, major renovations, capital projects, liaison with Environmental Health and Safety, Campus Facilities Services and Letters and Sciences Facilities Office, also building issues when Igor not available.
BDS Facilities Primer
For a comprehensive table of where to find it and how to get it done in IB, MCB, or VLSB see the BDS Primer.
- Safety Training and Access Form
- VLSB Building Emergency Plan
- Power Failure Procedures
- UCB Public Safety & Transportation
- UCB Environmental Health & Safety
- Safety Data Sheets
Reserving & Renting Space in VLSB
Seminar Room Reservations - for IB, VLSB, and campus members
Rent or use VLSB facilities - for individuals or groups deemed by the Department to be consistent with the research and educational mission of IB
- Building Guidelines
- Research Floors Access Policy
- Reserving Seminar / Conference Rooms within VLSB
- VLSB/Weill Hall Hazardous Materials Transportation Policy
- Shared Core Rooms
- Children in Labs
- VLSB Bike Policy
- Key Policy and Conditions
Maps & Building Information
- About the VLSB
- Map of VLSB Location
- Biosciences and Natural Science Library
- Floor 1
- Floor 2
- Floor 3
- Floor 4
- Floor 5
- Golub Microscope Collection
VLSB Departments & Centers
VLSB houses the following units and support facilities:
- Department of Integrative Biology
- Environmental Science, Policy & Management
- Molecular & Cell Biology
- Bioscience and Natural Resources Library
- Museum of Paleontology
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology
- University and Jepson Herbaria
- Marian A. Koshland Bioscience & Natural Resources Library
- 47 Research labs and support space for IB Faculty
- Chan Shun Auditorium
The Valley Life Sciences Building (VLSB) was 1 of 4 building projects (Life Sciences Building, Life Sciences Addition, Genetics & Plant Biology Building, North West Animal Facility) undertaken to revitalize the biological sciences on the UC Berkeley Campus. The VLSB was the most ambitious. It was originally constructed in 1930—considered to be state-of-the-art—and was completely gutted and reconstructed on the interior.
The reorganization eliminated 11 traditional departments, e.g., Botany, Biochemistry, Genetics, Zoology, and formed 3 new departments: Integrative Biology, Molecular & Cell Biology, and Plant Biology.
I complete list of BDS Scientific Facilites is available here.