BDS Facilities Primer

Where to find it and how to get it done within BioSciences Divisional Services, the administrative support group for IB and MCB.

Basic information about your building including maps and safety information can be found on the respective building web sites listed below:

Barker Hall
Weill Hall (LSA)
Koshland Hall
Valley Life Sciences Building (VLSB)

Subjects in the primer are listed alphabetically.

For questions contact Derek Apodaca
BDS Facilities Manager & Health and Safety Officer

A   B   C   D   E   F   G    H    I    K   L   M   O   P   R   S   T   U   V   W  

BDS homepage

Please see

MCB home page

Please see

Who does what in IB

Please see

Who does what in VLSB

Please see

VLSB home page

Animal Care and Use Committee (ACUC)

The Animal Care and Use Committee, regulates animal (vertebrate) use and research.  Conducts semi-annual inspections of any facility where vertebrates may be present, per your approved protocols.  See


Research and custody of vertebrates is regulated on campus.  See ACUC and OLAC.

Pets and animals other than research animals and trained service animals are not allowed in campus science buildings.

Atrium in VLSB TRex

The atrium in the center of VLSB, surrounding the TRex, is generally not available for events.


Autoclaves for shared use are available in the core rooms in Weill Hall:  224, 324, 424, 524; core rooms in Barker:  2, 315, 415, 515, 615; in 40 Koshland, and in 4188 or 5180 VLSB.

BEP (Building Emergency Plan)

Each building has its own Building Emergency Plan.  Contains information about fire, earthquake, chemical and other hazards and safety measures.  Go to to see your building’s emergency plan (CalNet ID required).  Or see each building’s home page on the BDS site ( See  /sites/  for a copy of the VLSB plan directly. The Weill Hall BEP is available here.


Biohazard Use Authorization.  See biohazard use.


Bicycles are not allowed in any Campus building. Public bike racks are available at all buildings. Faculty, staff and Grad students in VLSB, Weill Hall, LKS, Barker & Koshland Halls may lock their bikes in secure areas. VLSB & Weill Hall on the west side of VLSB, subject to available space. Contact: Anna Chung  (333-9523, for cardkey access.

For LKS, Barker and Koshland in the parking garage bike cage near the entrance to Koshland Hall. Contact Greg Vitan (208 Barker, 2-0943, for cardkey access.

Biohaz waste disposal

Biohazardous waste should always be:

 Non-exempt BSL 1 waste is segregated from the regular trash, placed in auto­clave bags and autoclaved until disinfected. After the cycle, the bag may be disposed of as regular trash.

For BSL-2 & BSL-3 biohazard waste:

Placed in a red biohazard bag.

Disposed by taking to 161 Weill Hall (Ben Coffey, 1-510-643-8121 during normal business hours, 8 am – 5 pm weekdays.

Disposed by taking to LL30 KH (Greg Vitan (208 Barker, 1-510-642-0943, during normal business hours, 8 am – 5 pm weekdays. For EH&S issues contact Derek Apodaca (3072 VLSB, 642-2467,, 1-510-292-9031 cell).

There is now a charge for this service, and disposing labs must have an account.

Please see

Biohazard use

Biohazard use requires a BUA, Biohazard Use Authorization, from campus EH&S.  Please see information at EH&S’s website:
Please note that an approved BUA is required before work can begin, even if work is ongoing from a previous institution.  Biohazards include any recombinant DNA work, including GFP.

Building hours/calendar

Weill Hall, LKS are open 8am-5pm weekdays only.  VLSB building hours are adjusted according to Biosciences Library hours and special events In general the building will be locked and available via cardkey only as much as possible.  The building hours for the current month are posted on the north and south side doors on the second floor.

Building manager

Currently the building managers in BDS are:

Li Ka Shing: Tim Thomas (171 LKS, 1-510-644-4708, )

Weill Hall: Ben Coffey (165 Weill Hall, 1-510-643-8121, )

VLSB: Anna Chung (3028 VLSB, 1-510-333-9523,

Derek Apodaca (3072 VLSB, 1-510-642-2467,, 1-510-292-9031 cell) is the MCB and VLSB Facilities Manager and Safety Officer and a safety resource for the entire biological sciences division of the College of Letters and Sciences.

Building maps

Use your CalNet ID to log in to DigiCality at to see campus building floor plans.  See bottom of the page, for VLSB maps.


Building exterior doors are locked after business hours and accessible via cardkey.  Some areas within VLSB are also cardkey access only.

To have your UCB faculty, staff, or student ID card activated as a cardkey for a particular area in the BDS realm, please see your building manager:

Li Ka Shing: Tim Thomas (171 LKS, 1-510-644-4708, For LKS access please fill in the Li Ka Shing Center Access Request Form

Weill Hall: Ben Coffey (165 Weill Hall, 1-510-643-8121, For Weill Hall access please fill in the Building Access Form

VLSB: Anna Chung (3028 VLSB, 1-510-333-9523,
For VLSB Access please fill in the VLSB Safety Training and Access Form

Access to the buildings or special areas within the buildings requires faculty-level approval.

Chemical Disposal

Unwanted chemicals in good condition, typically in unopened containers only, may be given to another campus lab at no charge by using UCB’s ChEx (Chemical Exchange) program.  Please see:


See also Chemical Waste

Chemical Inventory

Each lab or shop using hazardous chemicals is required to complete and update an inventory of these materials.  Updates are required once a year or within 30 days whenever a significant change occurs. 

See  You will need to work with the database manager at EH&S to download the 4D client used and set up a password for access.

Chemical Waste

Chemical waste must be accumulated, stored, and disposed of according to federal, state, and UC regulations.  To dispose of unwanted chemicals, use UCB’s hazardous waste program,

The site includes a tutorial.  A source of funds (chart string) will be required to set up an account so you can ship chemical waste.

Do not use this system for biohazardous or radioactive wastes. See also Chemical Disposal

Cold Rooms

Shared cold rooms are located throughout BDS facilities.  Cold rooms are generally shared and overseen by the labs on their particular floor or area. Please work with current users to determine appropriate and inappropriate procedures and storage in a particular room.

The larger number on the room’s control panel, outside the box in the hall, is the actual temperature Celsius; the smaller number is the setpoint.  Rooms are typically +15, +4, or –20C. 

Each and every item in any cold room must be labeled with your name, phone number, and email address.

Do not store food in any cold-room; cardboard boxes harbor mold and must not be used.

Controlled Substances

Controlled substances including narcotics, anesthetics, immobilizers, etc. must be handled according to federal regulations, including use logs, locking storage, and expiration dates.  Possession and use must be pre-authorized by EH&S.


Core Rooms

Core Rooms offer shared-use autoclaves, water ice, glasswashers and dryers, and in some cases ultrapure water. Your building may also have other facilities in addition to those below.

Core rooms are located in:

VLSB 4188, 5180

Weill Hall 224, 324, 424, 524

Barker 315, 415, 515, 615

Koshland 40

Courtyard (VLSB)

The VLSB courtyard may be reserved through the facilities manager. No events of any kind may be held without written approval of the VLSB facilities manager, currently Anna Chung (3028 VLSB, 510-333-9523 cell, Amplified sound or other noisy events are never allowed.

The courtyard is considered space internal to VLSB and smoking not allowed.


Weill Hall and VLSB custodial service is provided by Facilities Services. Please contact the building manager Anna Chung (3028 VLSB, 1-510-333-9523, or Ben Coffey (165 Weill Hall, 1-510-643-8121, to relate custodial issues or concerns to Facilities Services.

Barker and Koshland custodial services are contracted to an outside vendor.  Please contact Greg Vitan (208 Barker, 1-510-642-0943,

De-ionized water

Some taps in all BDS labs supply de-ionized water.  These are labeled ‘DI.’  Because this water runs through pipes throughout the building after being treated outside, the DI water may not be pure enough for sensitive experiments. Many labs have their own stills or supplemental Millipore or other purification systems. Rooms 4188 and 5180 VLSB both have supplementary Millipore purification systems available to provide ultrapure water for sensitive work.

Dry ice

Dry ice is available from the storerooms in 171 Weill Hall or 1 Barker on a recharge basis. The amount you take will be charged to your lab.


Dumpsters are available for large items, or garbage from special events, between VLSB and Weill Hall, south side, or at the west end of Barker.  In VLSB they are in an unlocked area; at Barker a code must be used.  Contact Greg Vitan (208 Barker, 2-0943,

Please do not discard hazardous materials of any kind.  This includes batteries or electronic items.  These should be salvaged via your building manager.

Items with any value to the University must be sent to UCB Excess & Salvage (see salvage) for sale rather than thrown in the dumpsters.

Do not leave items of any kind on the loading docks or in the halls. 

Back to top



The campus and the Bay Area are prone to powerful earthquakes.  Make sure your lab has a plan in place to deal with a quake

Please see the following for more information:

Heavy items over 4 feet tall should be braced.

Emergency numbers

Please go to:

Please print this page and post copies at each phone in your lab or office.  Program the local UCPD emergency number, 510-642-3333, into your cell phone (calling 911 from a cell phone reaches the California Highway Patrol 25 miles away in Vallejo)

Calling 9-1-1 from a campus phone reaches UCPD.

Emergency Power

Most labs in LKS, Weill Hall and VLSB are equipped with one or more emergency power outlets. These are usually identified by red plug sockets; 208V outlets may not be red.  Emergency power outlets are always identified with the circuit and panel numbers, which in this case start with ‘E’

The emergency power system requires 10-20 seconds to kick in; this delay will cause computers and computer-driven devices to crash if not connected via a UPS device.  Fridges and freezers will usually be fine.   A good quality surge protector with a built-in circuit breaker or line filter is strongly recommended.


All employees, including grad students, who use a computer at least four hours per day average are required to get an ergonomic evaluation of their workstation. Contact Derek Apodaca (3072 VLSB, 642-2467, 510-292-9031 cell).


Room reservations information:
IB Seminars and Events:
MCB Seminars and Events:


All types of filming by outside entities is regulated on campus.

See the Real Estate Services webpage at
for information on filming approvals.

The Public Affairs office has a rep dedicated to science communications who is very helpful at negotiating filming requirements and procedures.

Glass washers

Shared glassware washers and dryers are available in 4188 and 5180 VLSB, and in central core rooms in Weill Hall, LKS, Barker and Koshland.

Gloves in halls

Please do not wear latex/nitrile gloves in building hallways in a manner that contaminates door handles, elevator buttons etc.  Please wear only one glove in the halls and use your clean hand to open doors or have a helper with clean hands open doors if you need two gloved hands to carry your sample.  PIs and lab managers should train new researchers and remind them frequently.

Grad Student Lounge

The IB grad student lounge is located in 3056 VLSB.  Lunchrooms are available in Weill Hall (349, 449) and in Barker (434) but must be reserved for group functions.


One greenhouses are associated with VLSB:

1. IB Instructional Support utilizes greenhouse space on the roof of VLSB for use in Bio 1B and other lab classes.

Human subjects

Any work involving human subjects is regulated by the Committee for Protection of Human Subjects (CPHS) and the Office for the Protection of Human Subjects (OPHS).


Ice machines

Shared water ice machines are available in the VLSB, Weill Hall and Barker core rooms.  The machines produce crushed/flaked ice.


The Injury and Illness Prevention Program is a department-level health and safety plan and list of policies, procedures, and resources.  VLSB’s IIPP can be found at: 
 /sites/ IIPP 1-2023-daa.docx

Weill Hall/MCB’s  IIPP can be found at:

For help setting up or editing your department’s IIPP, see


All safety or security incidents including hazardous spills, spills of and recombinant DNA material, crimes, threats, etc., must be reported. Please always notify both UCPD (9-1-1, 1-510-642-3333 from a cell phone for emergencies, 1-510-642-6760 non-emergency) or EH&S (1-510-642-3073) as appropriate, and your building safety contact:

VLSB: Derek Apodaca 1-510-642-2467, 3072 VLSB, 1-510-292-9031 cell

Li Ka Shing: Tim Thomas (171 LKS, 1-510-644-4708, )

Weill Hall: Ben Coffey 1-510-643-8121, 165 Weill Hall


All work-related injuries must be reported to your supervisor and your unit’s Human Resources administrator. In any emergency call 9-1-1, or 1-510-642-3333 from a cell phone.

See for an important checklist of steps to take when an injury occurs.


Scheduled lab inspections occur in the spring and fall.

In the spring of every year, a representative of EH&S and your building safety officer inspect every lab per federal regulations. These inspections take 15-20 minutes per lab. A rough schedule will be announced, along with a list of items EH&S will concentrate on.

Every fall, PIs will be notified by their department safety officer that lab self-inspections are due, with a link to the form to be used. Approximately one month will be available to complete the self-inspections.

OSHA, Cal-OSHA, the City of Berkeley, EBMUD, or other inspectors may appear at any time and ask to inspect your lab. Always ask them politely to wait so that you may call your building safety officer

VLSB: Derek Apodaca 1-510-642-2467, 3072 VLSB, 1-510-292-9031 cell

Weill Hall: Ben Coffey 1-510-643-8121, 165 Weill Hall

and EH&S (1-510-642-3073) to accompany the inspection. They will wait for us to arrive.


VLSB Anna Chung 3028 VLSB, 1-510-333-9523, See

Weill Hall: Ben Coffey 1-510-643-8121, 165 Weill Hall,

Li Ka Shing: Tim Thomas (171 LKS, 1-510-644-4708, )

Barker/Koshland: Greg Vitan 208 Barker, 1-510-642-0943,

A faculty- level signature will be required for all keys and cardkeys.

Back to top


Lobby (VLSB)

The VLSB Onderdonk Lobby (2nd floor, east side of courtyard) may be reserved through the building manager. No events of any kind may be held without written approval of the VLSB building manager. Currently the building manager is Anna Chung (3028 VLSB, 1-510-333-9523, ). Amplified sound or other noisy events are never allowed.

The VLSB Lobby may be available for rent. See Facilities Rental information at:

The Onderdonk Lobby in VLSB is home to the Golub microscope collection; see

For room rental and reservation information in other BDS buildings please see and choose the building you are interested in or see and use the quick links menu.

Mass Spectrometer

The Center for Stable Isotope Biogeochemistry operates mass spectrometers on a recharge basis in room 1040 VLSB.  Please see


Safety Data Sheets (Formerly MSDS)

UCB subscribes to a comprehensive web-based source of SDSs.  See

Please bookmark this page on your lab computers and train researchers so they know its location and how to use the site.  This is important not only day-to-day for safety purposes, but in case of a federal or state inspection.


Office of Laboratory Animal Care  See



Power outage procedure

Please see

Radiation Safety


Rad waste disposal

Radioactive waste may be disposed of in room 155 Weill Hall.  There is no cost, but items must be labeled with isotope.

Please see

See also

Radiation Use Authorization (RUA)

Required before work with radioactive materials begins, or before materials are shipped or brought to UCB.  See:


Alterations to your building must be approved in advance. Contact your building manager:

VLSB: Anna Chung 1-510-333-9523, 3028 VLSB or

Derek Apodaca 1-510-642-2467, 3072 VLSB, 1-510-292-9031 cell

Weill Hall: Ben Coffey 1-510-643-8121, 165 Weill Hall

Li Ka Shing: Tim Thomas (171 LKS, 1-510-644-4708, )

Barker/Koshland:  Greg Vitan 1-510-642-0943  208 Barker


For building repairs, please contact:

VLSB: Anna Chung 1-510-333-9523, 3028 VLSB or

Derek Apodaca 1-510-642-2467, 3072 VLSB, 1-510-292-9031 cell

Weill Hall: Ben Coffey 1-510-643-8121, 165 Weill Hall

Li Ka Shing: Tim Thomas (171 LKS, 1-510-644-4708, )

Barker/Koshland:  Greg Vitan 1-510-642-0943  208 Barker


Reserving rooms


Back to top


Safety Committee

Each campus department has its own Safety Committee.  MCB’s Safety Committee membership can be found on the Weill Hall or Barker Hall Building Emergency Plans:  see

In VLSB there is a building-wide Safety Committee composed of members from all administrative units in the building.  For the current list of Safety Committee members, see page 5 of the VLSB Building Emergency Plan at

Building faculty, staff or students may confidentially report safety concerns to any member of the committee.  The committees also investigates incidents and accidents.

See also

Safety Officer

Currently the BDS Safety Officer is Derek Apodaca (3072 VLSB, 1-510-642-2467,, 1-510-292-9031 cell). Derek is also the MCB and VLSB Facilities Director.

Weill Hall has an on-site safety coordinator:

Ben Coffey 1-510- 643-8121, 165 Weill Hall


Inventorial items (those worth over $5,000 at time of purchase), items with any residual value to UCB, and others needing special handling as waste (refrigerators and electronic waste) must not be thrown away or sold.  These items must be disposed of through UCB’s office of Excess and Salvage.

Your department’s Berkeley Equipment Tracking System (BETS) administrator can help you determine the correct procedure to dispose of your equipment.


VLSB: Anna Chung 1-510-333-9523, 3028 VLSB

Weill Hall: Ben Coffey 1-510-643-8121, 165 Weill Hall

Barker/Koshland:  Greg Vitan1-510- 642-0943  208 Barker

Scientific Facilities

A number of scientific services are available to campus labs and students on a recharge basis from facilities run by BDS (these are not restricted to BDS/IB/MCB). These include Mass Spectrometry, Poster Printing, DNA Sequencing, Tissue Culture, Media Prep, Fly Food, Glass Washing.

See and and


Please report any suspicious activity to

VLSB: Anna Chung 1-510-333-9523, 3028 VLSB or

Derek Apodaca 1-510-642-2467, 3072 VLSB, 1-510-292-9031 cell

Weill Hall: Ben Coffey 1-510-643-8121, 165 Weill Hall

Li Ka Shing: Tim Thomas (171 LKS, 1-510-644-4708, )

Barker/Koshland:  Greg Vitan 1-510-642-0943  208 Barker

At any time call 9-1-1, or 1-510-642-3333 from a cell phone, for UCB Police in an emergency. They may also be reached at 1-510-642-6760 for non-emergency questions or concerns.

UCB runs several excellent night safety programs offering rides and escorts on and off campus. See

Shared equipment

See also Core Rooms.

VLSB, Weill Hall, LKS, Barker and Koshland Halls maintain various shared equipment for use by building labs. Glasswashers and dryers, autoclaves, Millipore ultrapure water, and crushed/flaked water ice are available at no charge. Dry ice is available on a recharge basis in the storerooms in 171 Weill Hall and 1 Barker.


Sharps containers and disposal

Sharps must be disposed of in approved containers, available from the storeroom ( All sharps containers, biohazardous or not, must be disposed of in the biohazardous waste accumulation area in 161 Weill Hall or via Greg Vitan 1-510-642-0943  208 Barker during normal business hours, 8 am – 5 pm weekdays. Biohaz waste rooms are locked and access is available from the building manager or storekeeper.  There is a charge for disposal, through the biohazardous waste recharge system. See:

Shipping and receiving

Shipping and package receiving is available in 163 Weill Hall.  Mailboxes for sending and receiving mail are in 3040 VLSB.

Shop equipment

All labs or rooms containing power tools like drill presses, table saws, bandsaws, lathes, or mills are considered ‘shops’ and must be inspected annually.



Recharge storerooms in 171 Weill Hall and 1 Barker sell various lab and office supplies, dry ice via UC fund transfer only; no cash is accepted. In addition, the storerooms assist with, gas cylinders, and packing materials. 

Tang Center

The Tang Center is the student health center, and the occupational health clinic for work-related injuries and illnesses.  See

In an emergency call 911, or 642-3333 from a cell phone.


Training is available for a wide variety of policies, procedures, and programs on the Berkeley campus.  Generally, this training if offered free of charge.  Some programs require employee training before work can begin (controlled substances, radiation).  See UCB’s Interactive Course Enrollment page.
to search for training topics and sessions.

Unwanted stuff

See ‘Salvage

VLSB home page


Anyone working in a UCB lab–or present in one and exposed to its hazards–who is not a student or employee of the University, must complete a volunteer form to protect UC from liability.

Volunteer waiver form in PDF

Back to top